Welcome to the English Learner (EL) Program. District 214 has a diverse student population representing more than 72 different language groups. Our English learners represent 16.4% (approx. 2,100 students) of the District’s total population.
The English Learner Program engages every EL student in high quality instruction, assessment and research-based best practice. We strive to develop students’ linguistic needs in reading, writing, speaking and listening while also meeting their academic and social emotional needs.
- Plan and deliver instruction that integrates language and content learning simultaneously using research-based best practices.
- Ensure English learners are receiving the appropriate supports to foster their academic growth and success.
- Refine instruction and programming for English learners through intentional analysis of data.
- Safeguard English learner’s sense of pride in their language and culture.
- Advocate for equitable access and remove barriers to success.
- Graduate multilingual lifelong learners through the development of college, career and life readiness skills.
- Support ELs in their gradual transition to general education classes and in accessing advanced classes.
High School District 214
Buffalo Grove High School
Elk Grove High School
International Newcomer Academy
John Hersey High School
Prospect High School
Rolling Meadows High School
Wheeling High School