Health Services (Nurse)
Health Services, sometimes known as "The Nurse’s Office", is a part of the Division of Student Services. Health Services is coordinated by an Illinois Certified School Nurse with the assistance of a health clerk. The Illinois Certified School Nurse (ICSN) is one of the members of the Specialists in the Student Service Team. This team assists students with academic, emotional, behavioral, health and legal issues that might arise in their lives. It provides a link between home and school at the High School level. The specialists provide more individualized assistance with decision making for all students as well as serve as liaisons to outside agencies and services.
The ICSN provides daily health care for illness, as well as coordinates emergency care for students and staff. Directing the comprehensive school health program, which meets the needs of the students, school, and community are an integral part of this role.
The following roles are just some of those carried out by the ICSN:
- provides vision and hearing screening
- offers counseling to students based on personal health needs
- coordinates student medication
- recommends educational adaptations as necessary for individual needs including special education
- recommends entrance into the adaptive physical education program
- serves as a liaison between the school, student, parent, and physician regarding the student’s health status when under a physician’s care
- assists families in using available community health resources
- supervises compliance with physical and immunization regulations with the Illinois School Code and Illinois Department of Public Health
- maintains up-to-date cumulative health records.
It is our belief that in order for a child to be successful academically, we must first look at their overall health. Nutrition, exercise, relaxation, good communication, healthy relationships, stress management, immunizations, physical, dental, vision and hearing exams are all part of looking at each student in a holistic manner. We believe that these physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual needs are essential and provide a foundation in which learning can then take place. We, as Illinois Certified School Nurses, along with school psychologists, school social workers, school counselors, teachers, ESP staff, coaches and administration all hope to provide a healthy environment in which your child can grow to his/her potential.