Class of 2021 Graduation
Dear Parents/Guardians of Wheeling High School Seniors:
Below is important information regarding your son/daughter's upcoming graduation from Wheeling High School. It also includes other important dates. Reading all of the material should answer the most common questions about graduation and other senior activities.
Senior T-Shirt and Yard Sign---May 5th---3:30PM---Cafeteria---We will distribute T-Shirts if you ordered one along with your yard sign.
Last Day of Classes for Seniors--- May 14th!!!
Materials and Obligations---Due May 14th. This includes student textbooks, calculators, and other materials should be returned to the school by this date. You will be receiving a statement in the mail if your student has an outstanding balance. This mailing will include payment options.
Graduation Car Parade - Monday, May 17th 2021 at 8AM. Cars will meet to stage at 7:30AM in the parking lot of the shopping center at Hintz and OLD Buffalo Grove Road behind the Clark gas station.
- Cap and Gown Distribution - Monday, May 17th following the parade
- Students will have the opportunity to pick up their cap and gown in the cafeteria after the parade.
- Any outstanding student fines or fees should be paid in order to pick-up graduation materials.
Graduation Practice/Awards Assembly* - Wednesday, May 19th, 2021
(Practice at 8 a.m. in the WHS Stadium with Awards Assembly to follow at 9 a.m.)
- Student attendance is mandatory at this event.
- Graduation practice will take place prior to the awards assembly
- Graduation tickets will be distributed at the end of practice. Students must be present in order to pick-up their tickets.
*Rain date - In the case of inclement weather, this schedule for practice/assembly will be the same on Thursday, May 20th 2021.
Graduation* - Wednesday, May 19th, 2021 at 7 p.m. in the WHS Stadium
*Rain date - Thursday, May 20th, 2021 at 7 p.m. in the WHS Stadium
- *In the case of inclement weather, the graduation ceremony will be postponed until Thursday, May 20th 2021.
- Each senior will receive 4 tickets for the graduation ceremony (students do not need a ticket)
- Seniors should arrive at school by 6:00 p.m.
- Guests will be allowed to enter the stadium at 6:15 p.m.
- The graduation ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes.
- Graduation is the most attended event during the school year; please car-pool if possible due to insufficient parking for every vehicle. Also drop your graduating senior off rather than have him/her park an additional car in the lot.
- We will have the Commencement Group selling a variety of arrangements and individual roses at the entrance to the ceremony at reasonable prices.
- Graduation is a formal, solemn ceremony. We expect that graduates (and guests) will behave in an appropriate manner for this setting.
- Men: Should wear dress pants, a collared shirt and tie for commencement.
- Women: Should wear a dress or dress pants and a blouse. Please do not wear spiked heels – as the heels will penetrate the artificial turf.
- Graduates - please do not bring purses, flowers, gifts, etc. to the ceremony. You cannot carry anything or wear anything on your robe during the ceremony. ○ Shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops, gym-shoes are not acceptable.
During graduation ceremony:
- The commencement ceremony is a formal, dignified event, signifying student achievement.
- Information about auditions to be a speaker at the graduation ceremony will be shared with students the week of April 12th through email and the class of 2021 Schoology page.
- A professional photographer will take photos of each graduate. In addition, the entire ceremony will be videotaped. We feel these services will enable parents to obtain a picture and/or DVD of their graduate without disturbing the ceremony with traffic to and from the stage area.
- Only the professional photographer will be permitted to take pictures in the stage area.
- Please have a pre-arranged location to meet your graduate after the ceremony.
Distribution of diplomas:
- Diplomas will be handed out during the ceremony.
- Do not throw away the envelope containing the diploma for it also contains your immunization record, and photo and videotape order forms.
- Diplomas not picked up at graduation will be available at the Registrar’s office the day after graduation.
- The caps and gowns are yours to keep.
Accessible Seating During Graduation:
If you have a guest who uses a wheelchair and needs accessible seating, please contact Mara Leane (email@example.com) by Monday, May 10th. Due to limited seating, limit your seating request to the guest who needs accessible seating and one additional person.
- There are no special tickets for accessible seating. Names of people needing accessible seating will be on a list held by workers who will assist people requesting special seating. However, each person requesting accessible seating will need to present a ticket when entering the stadium.
Hearing Impaired Interpreting Services During Graduation:
If you have a guest needing hearing impaired interpreting services, please contact Mara Leane (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, May 10th. Due to limited seating, limit your seating request to the guests with the hearing impairment and one additional person.
- Each person requesting hearing and interpreting services will need to present a ticket when entering the stadium.
If you have questions, email Mara Leane at email@example.com or leave a voicemail at 847-718-7335.
Senior Celebration/Prom-Like Activity---May 22nd--6:00PM Check-IN---Band, Food, Games, and a Firework Show to Finish!!!
Seniors can invite one guest from Wheeling to attend the senior event. The guest may be a Junior, Sophomore, or Freshman.
Please contact Kristie Quathamer or Shannon Johnson with any questions about this Prom-Like Activity. firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com