Dual Credit Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is dual credit?

A: Dual credit refers to a course in which a student is enrolled in both a high school and a college course simultaneously.

Courses are taught at the college level and students are expected to be college ready.  Students are subject to both the high school and college requirements of the course. Students receive both high school and college credit.


Q: What courses are dual credit?

A: Harper College-Art, Building Trades, Criminal Justice, Culinary Arts, Education, Electronics, Fashion, Fire Science, Geo Information Sensing, Health Careers, Heating/Air Conditioning/Refrigeration, Information Technology, Manufacturing, Mathematics, Political Science, Science, Sign Language

Eastern Illinois University - English, Mathematics, Speech Communications

National Louis University - Accounting, Business, Education, Entrepreneurship

Northeastern Illinois University- Education

Triton College- Automotives


Q: What do dual credit courses look like?

A: Students can take dual credit courses at a D214 high school with a D214 teacher, or students can take courses at a college site  with college instructors.


Q: How does a student become eligible for dual credit?

A: Students must meet both the high school and college prerequisites (proficiency tests/previous coursework) of the course. The curriculum of dual credit courses is the same as the curriculum that the college/university offers to its students. These are college level courses with college level expectations


Q: What are the implications of dual credit?

A: Your dual credit courses will be the first grades on your college academic records. The grade earned at the end of a dual credit course is reported to the college/university. That grade is transcripted by the college/university. A student can earn an A, B, C, D, F, or W.


Q:  Is there a cost for me to receive dual credit?

A:  Some of District 214’s college/university partners charge fees associated with dual credit.  These fees should be paid to High School District 214 in order to be rostered for dual credit.  The dual credit fees vary by institution and are listed below:

Eastern Illinois University - $35/course

Harper College - $50/course
National Louis University - $50
Northeastern Illinois University - $60/credit hour

Triton College - $0

Additional information regarding payment processes will be communicated to students and families.


Q: Can I drop a dual credit course?

A: Each external partner has a “Drop Period”, generally Day 1 through Day 10 of the course. After Day 10, a student who withdraws from the dual credit course may earn a ‘W’ or an ‘F’ on their college transcript. Receiving a grade lower than a ‘C’ or a ‘W’ on a college transcript may impact your ability to receive financial aid in college.


Q:  Can I choose whether I want to receive dual credit?  When would I have to do so?

A:  Students who choose to receive dual credit for their course must complete the necessary paperwork, application, and designate “opt in” on the parent permission form and pay the appropriate dual credit fees at the beginning of the semester or year.  At this time, students also have the opportunity to opt out receiving of dual credit. These students will earn District 214 credit for their course, but it will not be transcripted at the college/university.  Once a course starts, this option cannot be changed.


Q: Why does D214 offer dual credit?

A:  Dual credit provides students with increased post-secondary access and affordability by decreasing time and cost of obtaining a post-secondary degree or certificate.  Local data shows that high school students who earn 15 hours or more of college credit are twice as likely to complete postsecondary program of study.  District 214 has focused on delivering early college credit math and English courses as these are two of the largest barriers to post-secondary degree completion.  Dual credit career courses provide students with an opportunity to accelerate and confirm their career choices as they can take college credit bearing courses in their career area of interest while still in high school.


A: College transcripts must be requested by students after the completion of the dual credit course. Some colleges/universities have fees associated with requesting an official copy of a student’s transcript.  

When a transcript with dual credit is sent to another college/university, the “receiving university” decides how credit may be used. You may be able to negotiate how the transfer credit will be applied by working with the registrar’s office at the college/university you are going to attend. Many existing transfer agreements are listed at transferology.com


Q:  If I am in Harper College’s English 100 or Math 080 do I get college credit?

A:  No.  These courses are considered college transition courses.  If a student receives a C or higher in one of these courses, they will receive guaranteed placement into college level math or English at Harper College, but they do not count for college credit on a college transcript.