Prior to 1914, when voters created the high school district composed of parts of Wheeling and Elk Grove Townships and two sections of Palatine Township, high school students were educated in District 25 in the old grammar school building on the present site of the North School.
The election in 1914 to create High School District 214 was vigorously contested. The opposition to the proposition was very strong and voting brought out 1,269 persons. Because the Women's Suffrage Act had not been validated by the Supreme Court, it was necessary to keep the men's and women's ballots separated. More men voted against than for the proposition; but with the women's vote, it carried by a margin of 16 votes. There were 17 blank ballots, and the opposition claimed the proposition lost by one vote. Subsequently, the Supreme Court validated the election, the Women's Suffrage Act, and the creation of Township High School District 214.
In 1922 the school board adopted plans for the construction of Arlington High School, costing $150,000 and consisting of nine classrooms, an auditorium, and a gymnasium. Arlington High School graduated its first class, 10 students, in 1923. There were six additions made to this school, and seven other schools were built.
District 214's enrollment peaked at 19,823 students during the 1975-76 school year. Enrollment has declined significantly since that time. As a result of declining enrollment, the district closed Arlington High School in June 1984 and Forest View High School in June 1986. In 1989, Maryville Education Center / Nipper School (MEC), which was later named Nipper Career Education Center, became part of District 214; Student Therapeutic Education Program (STEP) became Forest View Alternative School in 1992; Vanguard School opened in 1997; and the Newcomer Center opened in January 2002.
|1922 Arlington High School
|1928 Arlington High School Addition
|1938 Arlington High School Addition
|1946 Arlington High School Addition
|1949-50 Arlington High School Addition
|1952-53 Arlington High School Addition
|1956 Arlington High School Addition
|1957 Prospect High School
|1962 Forest View High School
|1964 Wheeling High School
|1966 Elk Grove High School
|1968J ohn Hersey High School
|1971 Rolling Meadows High School
|1973 Buffalo Grove High School
|1984 Arlington High School Closed
|1986 Forest View High School Closed
|1988 Edward Gilbert Administrative Complex Dedicated
|1989 Maryville Education Center/Nipper School (MEC)
|1992 STEP becomes Forest View Alternative School
|1996 MEC / Nipper School becomes Nipper Career Education Center
|1997 Vanguard School
|2002 Newcomer Center
|2004 Nipper Career Education Center Closed
*District enrollment figures may vary during the course of the school year..