The Food and Nutrition Services Department of Township High School District 214 is an independently operated, non-profit $4 million-dollar-a-year program. More than 120 part-time Nutrition Services professionals take pride in preparing breakfast and lunch for more than 12,000 students and staff members daily. We believe that adequate nutrition contributes positively to students' learning ability, behavior, and general well-being. Therefore, we are very committed to providing this service to the students in the district. We prepare food on-site in all of our buildings.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide safe, nutritious, and appetizing meals and snacks at a fair price to promote and encourage the development of sound nutrition habits that will foster academic success.
- Provide quality meals in a positive atmosphere that encourages students to participate.
- Offer the variety of menu items and snacks that our students have come to expect.
- Serve meals that incorporate a variety of foods that are appealing to students.
- Student meals contain adequate calories and a variety of foods to support growth, development, and a healthy weight.
- Purchasing practices ensure the use of high quality ingredients to maximize student acceptance.
Safe Food Handling Practices
Our food services department is committed to providing safe, wholesome food to our customers. All of our central office staff, cafeteria managers, and General School Nutrition III employees who cook or prepare foods are required to have a current sanitation certificate through the state of Illinois Department of Public Health as a condition of employment. Many of our general employees, while not required, have also opted to receive this important training and have successfully completed the course of study and have taken the required refresher courses to keep their licenses current. We firmly believe this education to be of paramount importance in our operations.
All of our cafeterias are inspected a minimum of twice each school year by the health departments of the municipalities in which the schools are located. We are proud to say that our cafeterias continue to receive scores in the high 90's with some having 100% scores.