If a student becomes ill at school, the student should report to Health Services with a pass from the teacher to be evaluated by the ICSN. After the student and nurse conference, if there is a mutual agreement that it is in the best interest of the student to go home and/or to the doctor, the following procedure will be followed:
The nurse will:
- Phone parent/guardian giving an assessment of the student’s health followed by a request for their permission for the student to go home and/or to the doctor.
- If parent/guardian is unavailable, the nurse will call the emergency contact.
- If parent/guardian or emergency contact is unavailable, the student will not be allowed to go home. The nurse will continue to make every effort to contact parent/guardian or emergency contact. The nurse will not release the student without verbal permission from the parent/guardian or emergency contact.
- Transportation home for a student who is sick is the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
In the Event of a Suspected Communicable Disease
- Exclude student from school.
- Notify parent and refer to physical for diagnosis.
- Follow the Illinois State Health Department Rules and Regulations for the Control of Communicable Disease.
- Follow State of Illinois Rules and Regulations for the Control of Communicable Disease and individual school’s procedures.
- Doctor’s note will readmit student.
Recommended Standard Operating Procedures For Illness, Accident or Injury Occurring in Schools:
- The student’s emergency information is kept in the nurse’s office indicating parent/guardian phone numbers and emergency contact if parent/guardian is not available.
- In acute emergency, when immediate intervention is imperative, the nurse shall be notified immediately and shall initiate the necessary lifesaving techniques.
- The nurse will call 911 to transport the seriously injured student to an emergency care facility; the nurse may ask auxiliary personnel to perform this service if she cannot safely leave the patient. The parent will be notified, before or after 911 is called depending on the nature of the injury. Parents will assume the responsibility for transporting students when the injury is not an emergency.
- The emergency care facility will be notified as to the nature of the illness or injury of the patient being transported if it is felt that this information will help facilitate proper treatment.
- Administration will be notified if student is transferred to an emergency care facility.