|In Microsoft WORD, the number of words in an entire document or a selection of text in the document can be counted.
To see the counts for words, paragraphs, lines, and characters:
From the menu bar click on Tools -- Word Count.
The information will be displayed in the Word Count window.
The number of words in the document can be displayed in the staus bar at the bottom of your document window.
To automatically display the word count in the status bar:
1. From the menu bar click on Word -- Preferences.
2. Under the Authoring and Proofing Tools section, click the View icon.
3. Under the Window section, check the box for Live Word Count.
The Word count will be displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the window:
There may be times when you want to have the word count included as part of your document.
To display the word count in a document:
1. Click in the document where you want the word count to display. Type the words Word Count followed by a space.
2. From the menu bar click on Insert -- Field.
3. In the Field window there are 2 boxes: Categories and Field names:
In the Categories box select (All)
In the Field names box select NumWords
Click the OK button
The total number of words in the document will be displayed.